Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Just in Awe...


I can’t believe that it is Tuesday night and I am getting a chance to journal. The youth group, yes I said “group” is from Minneapolis, all 76 of them. It is a tremendous group with great personalities and a wonderful work ethic. It really is a joy to be around them, they are very respectful of each other, of their adult leaders, of the community and of the staff. They are in church group time right now and are all in church group time, all 76 of them. It’s pretty neat to see the dynamics of the group and how they all kind of mesh together. I have been talking to a few of them about what brought them on this mission trip and they essentially replied that they love God and love missions and they love to go on trips with the youth groups. These youth stand in line at their church to sign up for this particular trip to Cortez, and they say it like this every year, no matter where they go. The excitement and the joy they get out of serving drives them to want to come back. They in turn tell their friends in the youth group and they get excited about coming on YouthWorks trips. These youth line up several hours before registration begins just to be able to get a spot on the trip. That is dedication and only the ones who want to be here. It all makes for a good week and a great group. So they are in church group and they are worshiping and having story time and processing the day as a group. They are going to put themselves to bed and this allows me to journal and reflects on the first couple of days of ministry.

It has been a great couple of days of ministry on all accounts. I really enjoy getting to know the homeowners and being a friend to them. They are so special in so many ways. Bill and Lorain Lackey remind me of Ann and Daddy. Their generosity, their love, their commitment to Christ, their commitment to each other is so very similar to Ann and Daddy’s. Bill is an older gentleman who takes care of Lorain who has health problems. He was out in the yard all day interacting with the youth, getting them rollers to use, getting them water to drink, fixing them lunch of elk burgers and watermelon. I was thinking of Daddy as I was there, because that is just what he would do if youth were working on his house in Auburn. Tomorrow we are painting a house of Mike and Viola Randle who are just the greatest. I went over to look at their house last Friday and they invited me to have dinner with them. I just met them and they offered me streak, potato salad, and cherry pie and oh yeah a grape soda. It was just a wonderful gesture of hospitality I have had offered to me. All these homeowners are very grateful an organization such as YouthWorks is here in the community of Cortez helping out by painting and playing with kids all summer long. It is great to be a part of this and I would not want to be anywhere else right now, well maybe in Jamaica with Lee Ann. I know that God has placed me here for a reason and I have always known that. I may see what the purpose is and then again I may not see what fruit comes from me watering the fields. I trust God that He is going to do some amazing things this summer and I believe in what His plans are for this community, the lives of the youth and adult leaders and my life.

No comments: