Sunday, July 29, 2007

Faithfulness....


Time gets away. Kristi e-mailed me the other day and was asking me what was up; you haven’t blogged since July 15. There is no excuse, just not taking the time to sit down and write my thoughts on paper, or in this case electronically. Today is Sunday, the last Sunday of the summer here in Cortez. It is hard to believe that the summer is a week away from being done. There are a lot of emotions, thoughts and ideas that are flowing through the old noggin, all are reflecting on the summer and what God has brought to light and the lessons that I have learned this summer. It may take some time to fully process what the summer has been like and sort out what God has been speaking about when He speaks about serving neighbors and treating them as well as you treat yourself. I’m hoping that this journaling experience this summer will help me remember how God has moved through the community of Cortez, through me personally, through my interactions with the youth and adult leaders, with my friends and family and especially with my love Lee Ann.
God is so very faithful and gives us moments to inspire us, to encourage us and to help us along the path of life. God gave me one of those moments this week, let me explain. A couple of weeks ago I was praying about the end of the summer and asking God to instill in me a peace about going home, but in the same time to be present in Cortez, not physically present, but emotionally present, not to check out even though I was "doing" ministry by facilitating the groups in their painting projects and other activities that I help with. It came to mind, and I believed God planted a seed, how cool would it be to see groups that I served with before last summer come to Cortez. That would help with my staying emotionally present here in Cortez for the last two weeks. Like I mention, and you know, God is faithful and provides little opportunities. Last week a group came in from Illinois who I served with last summer in Taylorsville, NC. It was early bird week where all the staff from a particular area gets together to have an additional work of training. It was great to see Kathy, Jeff, Bob, Caleb and Andrew along with Josh, Andrew, Peter, along with others I served with last summer. I remember connecting with this group last summer and really creating a bond in the first week of the summer in 2006. So, I thought that was really great and swell that I would see a group I hung out with last year. God is good, loving and very supportive. So this week, our final week roles around as the weekend pass and I’m cooking chicken for Sunday night dinner. Through the window I see that groups are arriving and I’m just minding to the dinner. About 4:45 I head to other house to check on the oven that is housing my other chicken and stop to talk to a group from Wisconsin that just arrived. I look closely and realize that it is some girls that I know. They all exited to see me and welcome me with open arms, its like role reversal as I am suppose to welcome them to Cortez. I head back inside and get swarmed by the other members of their group and finally realized this is a group from Eastern Kentucky last year. Now what are the odds of that? I told Mark it has been like old home week, seeing familiar faces and reliving stories from last year and catching up on life from the past year. It has just be wonderful to see how God has been working amongst old friends. God is faithful and is truly helping me get through this week by allowing me to encounter the blessings of the past 12 weeks and last summer as well. Thank you Lord for reminding me why I decided to serve these past two summers.

No comments: